Hi y’all.  So, I haven’t posted in a while, especially not about today’s subject.  Our building project has been on hold this summer for obvious reasons.  But, now we’re back at it, and Ransom is in his element.  He loves to see stuff getting done out at the property, even if it’s just a little bit of stuff.  As they say, “Every little bit counts!”

A couple weekends ago, we had the concrete pad for our basement floor poured!!!  Very exciting.  Things look “real” out there now, not just like we’re playing in the dirt.  Here are some pictures:

This is what the site looked like prior to the pour.  The area that is marked by boards in the middle of the site is where the bathroom will be in our basement apartment.  Ransom had to mark that out, ’cause we needed to put in some of the plumbing before pouring concrete.  You can see our sweet little boy in the foreground; he loves working with his Papa.



Here I am!  Right now, there’s not a lot I can help with at the building site.  But I really do enjoy it when I get the opportunity.  On this particular occasion, I was pulling weeds around the perimeter of the site to make it easier to maneuver around.  As you may be able to tell from the picture, these aren’t your typical little garden weeds.  I’m not sure what they’re called but I’d describe them as a mutant tumble weed…one that crossed with some sort of a thistle plant.  They were easy to pull, ’cause they were growing in sand, but they were brutal on the skin, hence the gloves you see protecting my hands.

So, the night before the pour, Ransom’s brothers came over and helped him finish tying the re-bar.  They were up past 10:00 PM.  Then, they all crammed into our apartment, which we’d outfitted with blow-up mattresses (thanks Rickels!), and hunkered down for the night.  The next morning, everyone (including ME!) was up by 5:00 AM and after a quick breakfast, the guys were off to help with the pour, which was scheduled for 6:00 AM.  And here’s what things looked like by 7:00 PM:

Since we started the building process, our friend and neighbor, Dave McLean, has blessed us with advice, support and assistance.  We wouldn’t have had a successful pour if it weren’t for his involvement.  He was also there at 6:00 AM, along with my Grandpa Wayne Schmid.

Doesn’t that look beautiful?! 




After the pour we had a brunch.  Dad and Mom Rickel allowed us to use their back porch, and Paige and Emily helped with everything.  Dave’s family came over, and we had pancakes, sausage and coffee.

Cute shades, huh? 😉











This picture is of Holly, Dave’s wife, holding their youngest child, Jubilee.  Remember and Jubilee are only six weeks apart.

This picture is of Honour playing with Isaiah McLean; they’re five months apart. 


Here’s Honour with Samuel McLean (3 yr.).  Thank you to everyone for all the help you gave us with our house.  And thanks for all the fun too!